Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Written Pathetic Appeal

LINK
My claim in this argument is in favor of the use of principles present in video games in order to encourage new and revised methods of learning in the classroom. This was perhaps not the most emotionally charged subject, but I feel that I was able to use pathos and logos together to create a strong argument. My intention was to appeal to the desire of readers for an efficient, effective educational system, their own experiences in classrooms, the dislike of mass produced, one size fits all approaches to shaping people. For those who have played video games to any extent I have tried to include principles that are thought provoking but at the same time recognizable. I attempted to create a respectable, knowledgeable and impartial ethos in order to give credibility to myself even to those who may think the entire concept preposterous.

I wanted to evoke feelings of frustration at the ineffective methods of teaching, the excitement of problem solving during a game, and a hope for a better way of learning. My end goal is to have the audience become at least amiable towards the concept of game principles in the classroom by making them seem credible and worthwhile as a supplement to more traditional methods that contain some flaws. By drawing the connection between a flawed system and a promising, rational, and hopefully exciting new approach, I want readers to begin to think of ways in which these principles could be applied and look favorably towards the creation of new, alternative approaches to teaching using these gaming principles.

No comments:

Post a Comment